View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cinderellawkids

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
Just a thought about the charge-offs. I have several from credit cards and I thought once they were charged off, I didn't have to worry about them. Turns out, a collection agency sued me (when I was still in active addiction) and won. I found out when the police showed up at my door with papers ordering me to respond (NOT a good feeling when you've been on the wrong side of the law).

I was able to make a payment plan with them, but still had to get a lawyer to know how to respond to the court (I used prepaid legal...about $30/month). This is probably due to the fact that this one debt was $4000. When another charge-off was sent to a collection agency, I went ahead and made a payment plan with them, too, because I was afraid they would sue me too. The lawyer handling it told me "just because it's charged off, does not mean you're not still responsible for the debt" - I honestly thought it did.

I hope you can get things worked out. I'll be paying off stuff 'til I'm 90....maybe then I can afford a decent nursing home

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Yes we are in the process of that as well. I told them to sue me and get a judgment against me, and I told them to do it quick so they could still put a lien on the house. (theyve refused payments Ive offered)

I was hoping the house would sell to clear up all this debt from being with an active addict, cause God knows they have no intentions of suing him.

For today Ill just make no decisions until after the realtor does the walk through