View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
swmnkdinthervr
Take it easy

Originally Posted by GoodKarma View Post
Can anyone tell me why addicts and alcoholics disappear for days at a time. Sometimes a week or more. You cannot find them. They do not return phone calls and usually they don't go to work.

I would like to call his mother to make sure he is okay, but I've been told this is pretty typical of addicts/alcoholics. When you do finally hear from them they act like it is no big deal.
"He" has his own agenda...sadly it's wrapped up in his addiction, sometimes addicts stay away to avoid everyone telling them what's best for them, sometimes it's because their substance of choice is elsewhere and they gone to seek it and it's not rare that time has little meaning in their quest for that high.

"It's no big deal" is usually a disarming tactic...hopefully after that response you won't ask anymore questions about his whereabouts...addicted folks go to great lengths to insure access to our drug of choice. Pursuing them most often results in more avoidance and the possibility of angry confrontation.

Good luck in your struggle...make sure you and the rest of the family see to your emotional needs too...