Thread: bad news
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 01:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Susan)))))

I'm so sorry this happened. But let me remind you that it took a week-long relapse for me to finally realize I didn't want that life anymore and I had a lot more clean time than Kasey.

I had to face a few consequences....lost lots of money, my job - but found another one in the same restaurant chain, but was fortunate that although I was stopped by police 6 times in that week and they knew I was on probation and it's a violation to be out of state (I was in TN), they never even wrote me a ticket.

Some will probably say I should have been locked up, and I understand that. But, I chose to be very grateful to HP that I was given another chance and I took full advantage of it. I don't know that I'll get another chance if I screw up, so I'm doing everything in my power to NOT screw up.

Don't be so sure Kasey isn't aware of the date. She may not know the exact date, but I'm sure she's aware that "this time last year, I was......" Even though I was high as a kite 24/7, I still was aware of dates that were important..I just didnt do anything about them.

The fact that she called you, to me, is a good sign. And if she's staying with her sponsor, she's doing exactly what she needs to.

I know this is so hard on you. But we RA's have to find our own path to recovery. When I relapsed, my dad was furious and hurt (and rightly so). But I told him that I had made a mistake...what he needed to look at was what I did AFTER that.....did I say f--- it and keep screwing up (no), did I lay around the house feeling sorry for myself or go out immediately to find another job (found a job).

It sounds like this is an experience she needed to learn from. If she's anything like me (and I think she is), she feels terrible about disappointing you AND she's feeling pretty crappy about what she did. Those feelings are what finally proved to me that it just wasn't worth it.....hoping it works for Kasey, too.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

p.s. - I haven't gotten any e-mail from her yet, so will send her one, okay?