View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Music

When I first came to AA, I stayed sober 'cause I had nothing to lose. Now I stay sober because I have everything to lose. What happened in between took a number of years of working the steps, talking to my sponsor sometimes daily, going to meetings; in the beginning every day and at some point realizing that I had other responsibilities to my family etc. In the beginning it was about not drinking. Now it's about living sober. God has been there for me since almost day one, when I asked for help to stay sober for the first time. Jerry Murphy, my first sponsor showed me how to go to meetings, how to shake hands and introduce myself to strangers, how to aske God for help, and guided me through the steps for the first time. I didn't know how to do these things and wouldn't have done them, left to my own devices. I needed a man who could set an example for me. When I left Jerry and moved away I cried like a baby. I asked him what I could do to pay him back for all he'd done for me. He said, "just do it for someone else." So, there you have it. Our main purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety. Set the example. Be the example of the power of my Higher Power, just like it says in the 3rd step prayer.

I think we're both saying the same thing here Jim. Like you said, through different lenses. And, that's what makes the program so unique. We both achieve the same end, by the same means but not the same way.