View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 02:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nolonger

Interesting. Nearly every single person on the show thinks it is a bad idea for teenagers to drink. Everyone assumes that “drinking” means “insane binge drinking.” Shouldn’t the emphasis be on teaching teenagers to drink – responsibly, among adults, in social situations?

I wonder what they think is going to happen at age 21 – by what magic are people going to learn how to drink socially? And what kind of weird message is being sent out (about life, about the adult world, about growing up) if you suggest that alcohol is so powerful, so evil, so dangerous, that you can end up in court just for possessing it… but it is something that your parents can freely use and enjoy. Seems like the most sane people here (mentioned, but not allowed to speak in the segments I saw) are the parents who throw supervised parties for their kids, make sure things don’t get out of hand, make sure no one drives a car, etc.

Don’t get me wrong – from personal experience, I know what alcohol can do to a small segment of the population (including me). It just seems to me that the approach of most of the people on the show is perfectly designed to PRODUCE, not to prevent dangerous drinking among kids.