View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 08:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pinkcuda

When I quit it wasn't my choice. My kids were taken away and my parental rights were in jeopardy. I had to comply with Social Services and part of their requirement was monitored sobriety. I was getting no less than 2 BAs or UAs a day and as many as 4. Therefore drinking was out of the question. Detoxing never occured to me or them for that matter. I just quit with no concept of any medical consequences. I didn't get sick for some reason. I sure was depressed though. I fought through the Court Case and won after about 4-5 months and got my kids back. Now the decision to quit was mine and not theirs. I had been going to A.A. for a couple months to appease the Courts and decided to stay there and stay sober. The only thing was now that I had my sobriety for my own reasons in play I was expecting results and I wanted results right now. I wasn't seeing the results I wanted. I was expecting life to be a bed of roses since I quit but it wasn't happening. My depression got worse and I was wondering if it was all worth it. I went to the Doctor and got on some Anti depressants. I ended up taking about one a week when my wife would ask if I had been taking them. Again, I didn't get instant results from them either so why bother? This depression lasted about a year and a half, maybe more. It might be just a coincidence but my depression trickled away about the same time I started hitting the steps pretty hard.