View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I don't know that I'm qualified to respond here, but I'll give it a shot. I was not an "alcosaur" (I didn't use just alcohol), but during the periods when it was the primary substance I put in my body, I did find myself withdrawing from it, though usually not without chemical (self-medicating) help.

The one thing I do know about withdrawing from alcohol, as I've watched my father and other family members, as well as other patients in detox go through it, is that it should not be attempted without medical supervision for those who are drinking heavily.

That said, the bulk of my physical discomfort was over in less than a week. It's been described above, so I won't bother to repeat it. The worst of it for me was the mental part -- the fog, the fatigue, the depression. I had several periods of "white knuckle" chemical sobriety where I was dry, but I was miserable. The depression turned to a vague discontent. I was not happy being just dry. I spent both of my pregnancies and nursing periods in this way. As soon as I could, I went back to drinking.

I'm not saying that it can't be done -- that the drink can't be put down and not picked back up without any other changes. I just couldn't do it. The booze was only a symptom of my problem. I was my problem, and that's where I had to do the work in order to recover.

Even during my last detox, I went to meetings, got a sponsor and began working the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. Whatever method a person chooses, I urge that it be done with an open mind and complete willingness. I don't know that attempting to quit while holding on to reservations ever works.

I know that the one thought that kept me from seeking recovery was the fear of what came after. I did not have any adult experience living chemically, mentally and emotionally sober. Had I known how good it really could be, I would not have hesitated! But it didn't come without commitment and a lot of hard work, every bit of which has been rewarded a hundred fold.

Peace & Love,
Sugah