View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
exjunky

Hey I answered your question with a long post but some technical problem smashed a bunch of messages here. I'm not sure if you read it or not but let me give you the short answer:

Suboxone (buprenorphine) is a very new drug, and relatively safe. This is in stark contrast to methadone, where one person's normal dose would kill the next guy in line.

Because of this, different doctors try different things. They are experimenting. Some use it sparingly, others prescribe massive doses. That doesn't mean they are confused, ill-informed, or practicing bad medicine--this is always what happens when a new drug hits the market.

My advice is to go with whatever your doctor wants to do. Of course other doctors will be trying different things, but the important thing is that your husband stops with the dope and starts with recovery.

If your concern is that your husband is getting high on this new drug, I wouldn't worry. Assuming he had a serious habit before starting, it's unlikely that's the case.

If your concern is that he might overdose on it, again I wouldn't be too concerned. As long as he doesn't try to stick it right in his vein, or mix it with other drugs, that is highly unlikely.

if your concern is that he'll be on such a high dose that it will be difficult to scale down off of it, again don't be worried. I've never seen a drug that was easier to scale down from. It's almost like smaller amounts are more effective than larger amounts. I know that sounds crazy, I can't figure it out myself, but it seems to be the God's honest truth.