Thread: My fantasy girl
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003, 11:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Captain Morgan

Hi Leiana. The "fantasy girl" in the story now has 3 children to 2 different guys. Her biological father left her and her mother when whe was very young. I knew this all along, but I didn't understand the significance of it until just a few years ago. It's strange when suddenly the proverbial light bulb turns on in your head and the pieces of the puzzle suddenly fit together; not that I have all the answers now to why things happened as they did, and it's probably better that way, but hindsight truely is 20/20.

She has a fear of abandonment, understandably, and yet she is attracted to guys that treat her just like her dad did, which was the case with the father of her first 2 children and just about every other boyfriend she told me about. Ironically enough, at least to me it seemed that way at the time, it turned out I was the one afraid of being abandoned. I was the shoulder for her to cry on, figuratively speaking of course. I became the backup, long distance "boyfriend" when she moved away. As long as things seemed to be going well for her, she didn't care if she ever heard from me, and I played along like a sap.

Anyway it's all for the best it didn't work out. We're 2 people who have too many issues for a relationship to ever work; we would just bog each other down. She is a beautiful person in her own way, and I wish there was something I could do to make her happy, but I'm not in any position to do that, and I now realize it's all for the best.

The Codependency Characteristics list really seems to help explain why I clung on to my "fantasy girl." It was really strange reading it in that just about every single characteristic in the list applied to me. I think I found it while searching for a book about love addiction after reading a thread on this site about obsessive love or something to that effect. Anyway thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts Leiana.