View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Easeful

Not sure I can make this clear

I'm not sure I can explain this clearly, but here goes....Our family has lots of experience in dealing with addictions and dysfunctional behaviors, we also have lots of experience playing Cleopatra (Queens of De Nile).

The latest has me stumped. I've spent time building boundaries and learning how to teach people to treat me. I've made some progress.

But now I'm dealing with an addicted sil and my husband is trying to dictate how I am to respond to her demands. I feel like the right answer is to tell the sil to take care of the situations she has created for herself or seek help for her addictions. My husband agrees, except.....he has a much older sister who will step in and kill herself trying to help. I feel pretty strongly that the elderly sister has her own lessons to learn here but my h insists that she's too old and too fragile and rather than risk her health we should enable the other sister.

Anyone?

At this moment my plan such as it is, is to assure the elderly sister than I'm doing everything possible to help the addict sister while making only the feeblest of attempts.

But my gut tells me to walk away and let the older sister (79) kill herself trying to fix something she can't fix rather than be a party of the drama and deception.

Thoughts?