View Single Post
Old 05-24-2002, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hey Bob,
I was just thinking today how it helps others when we share out weaknesses as well as our strengths.

I too have PTSD and the situation you're in is hard for all of you to cope with. I have some excellent tapes I will copy for you, but don't tell anyone I haven't tried medication, because the worst of my PTSD was years ago. I've learned to manage most of it except the hiper arousal survivor part. I'm the only one I know that carries fish penicillin and bird biotic in my car in case of an amthrax attack.

Being in the small house with the kids and working at home will probably remain difficult. There are some things you can do. At 4pm take at least a half hour to nurture your wife and children. Listening, hugs, and letting them know how important they are to you. They need to know they are the most important part of your life.

As a man you know that providing for them is the best way of loving them. We women and children are from a different planet. We think that your work is more important to you than we are. This hurts your feelings because it feels like all that you are giving is not appreciated. We are also quickly cured, because just a little affection and listening makes everything feel better.

Structure is important. Kids love playing in the hose, movies are a lifesaver, and other things that get their attention off you and each other and on to something else. The medication takes 6 weeks before you feel the full effects.

Take care of the PTSD and the rest will be easier to deal with. I think we need a PTSD board, lol. Just kidding, don't want to add to your work. It helps to talk about it and vent. You are welcomed here to do that. I do it all the time.

I know how you feel being overwhelmed with work. I work sometimes from morning to bedtime.When the phone rings, I want to take it and throw it through the window. That's a PTSD thing too, I think. Let some of the things go. We certainly don't need anything fancy here right now. Do only what you have to do and leave everything else until later.

Make a list of the basic necessary things that you have to do. Only do those things. You are at a time that protecting yourself is of vital importance. Don't do anything that you don't have to do.

Others may have some better advice. If there is anything we can do to help lighten the load, let us know. I promise I'll try to behave.

MG

Wow, sorry for the book

<small>[ May 24, 2002, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Morning Glory ]</small>