View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 09:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ccirider

Originally Posted by exjunky View Post
I used to be an atheist, but I lost the faith.
Most atheists would say to you that atheism is simply a lack of belief in a god, so there was no faith to lose from the beginning. However, I believe that we all worship someone or something, including atheists, whether it be an inanimate object, ourselves, etc. The Pharoahs deified themselves and openly declared themselves to be gods, which has to be the ultimate in self-centeredness. Is it not possible for someone to deify himself, yet deny that he is doing so for obvious reasons? I am not suggesting that ALL atheists deify themselves, but I think it's safe to say that some (meaning 1 or more) do, just like some theists deify themselves.

Now I believe in God but I don't endorse any particular religion. I feel most closely attached to the teachings of Jesus, because I read the New Testament and paid careful attention to the red letters. I don't know if Jesus was the son of God or not, but his words make a lot of sense to me, maybe more than anybody else's words I've ever read in my life.
I am an American who grew up in the 60's culture of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. In order to cope with my addiction problem, I turned to the religion of Islam which is similar to Christianity in many ways, but I, too, could not bring myself to believe in a personal savior. Moreover, Christianity lacked emphasis on the self-discipline of Islam, such as prayer 5 times a day and fasting during the month of Ramadan, which has proved to have been very helpful to me to regain self-control. I am not saying that Islam is for everybody, because it certainly is not, but it has helped me tremendously to overcome my addiction to alcohol and drugs.

But I get hung on up on the part where I am supposed to "accept Christ as my savior." Without doing that, I've been told, I have no business calling myself a Christian.

So what do you think, am I secular? Or just confused?
You are not a Christian if you do not meet the qualifications of being a Christian, but that doesn't mean that you are secularist. All non-Christians are not secularists.