View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nolonger

Hi MG,
I get frustrated too when things here turn into anti-AA diatribes, or a pointless back-and-forth about "AA is religious/is not/is too/is not". And some people who have posted here in the past have had a narrow-minded and literalistic view on AA, etc., no question.

But it’s an overstatement to say "most" of the threads here are like that. Looking down the list of recent threads, there are a few “I can’t stand AA” ones, but plenty of others too. In fact, there are plenty of “AA-skeptical" threads on the main “alcoholism” forums – they usually degenerate into argument and get closed fairly quickly.

In general, as someone who posts on this forum sometimes (and an atheist who goes to meetings sometimes), I think it’s worth letting things play themselves out as long as they don’t get ridiculously out of hand. Given the dominance of AA-related approaches in recovery in general and elsewhere on SR, there are always going to be some people who want to get their point of view off their chest. I don’t see the harm. Let’s face it – there are often are some fundamental, unbridgeable differences of opinion between people – spiritual/not-spiritual, God/materialism, etc.. However you slice it, that difference will come out sometimes. We’re all grown-ups (in theory anyway), and can handle it, surely?

And like I said, most threads aren’t actually like that. In fact, the problem with the secular forum is that there’s nothing happening here half the time,
peace,
nl

EDIT - Yeek! I just noticed the date on your post, MG! You were probably right when you wrote it. I'll leave the above spiel anyway.

Last edited by nolonger; 11-10-2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: didn't notice the date on the original post, and so I was talking out of my ear...