View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jazzman
Occasional poor taste poster

You agree on what you agree on, the laws can be used as guidelines or ignored and battle it out between lawyers or ultimately in court and let the judge decide. Most settle before court. I live in VA and have been divorced twice, (didn't plan it that way... long story but anyway).

1st divorce there were no assets to fight over, only debt. I kept the house because I wanted to minimize the impact to the kids and I was in a slightly better financial position to give it a go. It was a stretch financially but it all worked out in the end. 1st divorce was amicable and the lawyers got next to nothing.

2nd divorce was different, lots of equity to fight over and she wanted 1/2. I purchased the house prior to our marriage w/ separate funds and the way the numbers worked out 90% of the equity was mine. I took out an equity loan to buy her out and she signed the PSA, waited to file then poof, divorced.

Lots of folks can't separate the emotion and after feeling wronged, think they will get justice. Well there's no justice and no satisfaction and no closure in a contested divorce, only the lawyers win.

Don't use your lawyer as a therapist at $400/hr, keep the conversation business like and brief, make a list of questions beforehand and write down the answers. Vent here for free. Save money by doing your own paralegal stuff, read up about the domestic laws of your state on the internet. Keep your focus on minimizing the impact on your kids. Don't bad mouth their mother no matter what.

Good luck