Thread: Dr. Phill
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2003, 03:49 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
still learning
Paused

Live or Die

Angels watching, waiting, praying. . . I'm thinking of the father who came to the show - in the audience who does not have his son - did not get to do an intervention - his son is dead. I watched a program on Bill Moyer's the other evening (a repeat) which showed the actual changes in an addict's brain - impaired thinking which gives way to "the disease talking". My son tried an intervention with his dad (my ex) - brought in counselors, friends of my ex A- some came in from out of town. They all met in a hotel lobby. Ex-A reacted with fear - and bolted from the room - never speaking to his friends again. ExA has suffered the consequences of his drinking - losing his toes, a foot, a lower leg - clumps along on his prothesis, uses the wheelchair - continues on and on with his abusive behavior - my son stays with him - works for him - continues to "take it". My son is very ill - as the rescuer - doesn't get/seek help. Help is just across the street for him with CODA, Al-Anon meetings available. I am finally "letting go, letting God". I had my relapse this year, too, by getting involved (not romantically) with a person who is a DD (dry drunk) - business partner now. I'm going to my meetings and a counselor - I come here with you all for guidance, sharing and support. I pray that the young man chooses life over death. Thanks for listening. "Keep coming back - It works".