View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bella_Fox
To thine own self, be true

Outpatient Support @ Hospitals/Clinics?

Hi.

I'm just not able to get comfortable with the idea of A.A. due to the religious component (as well as some other reasons that probably make sense only to me), and I'm wary of other organizations, too. For some reason, I'm most comfortable with the idea of attending groups that are affiliated with a hospital or health center. I don't know why this is, it just is.

Anyway, there's an Outpatient Addiction Services department at one of the two hospitals with which I'm affiliated (my medical care is all through one hospital network, and my weekly therapy and ED-related treatment has been through another). My therapist gave me the phone number so that I can set up an intake appointment, but I haven't made the call yet. Some questions:
  1. Has anyone here attended addiction-related groups in a hospital/clinical setting on an outpatient basis?
  2. If so, how -- in your opinion -- do they compare to organizations like A.A.? (Assuming you have experience with both.) Is there a different vibe? Are the general formats of meetings very different?

Thank you for answering.

PS: Mods, if you think this topic is better suited elsewhere, I understand. I wasn't sure, myself.