Old 11-01-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Spiritual Seeker
get it, give it, grow in it

Red face You're on the right path

I learned that as the parent when the A calls we don't have to agree to anything.
Until it becomes natural you can print a piece of paper and put it by the phone.
"I love you, I believe in you and I know that you'll do the right thing" This is after you say NO to any requests that are not approp for you. I learned this in my Parent's al-anon mtg. (there are 8 in my county-maybe you'll want to see if they have parent emphasis mtgs. in your cty mtgs. are listed online if you google .)
(and you don't have to take the collect calls)
When we learn the skills we need it helps us in the relationship with the addict whether they change or not. It has also helped me in all of my other relationships ie friends, coworkers, spouse, etc.
I am glad that you feel confident in your decisions.
I have been in al-anon almost 5 yrs. Now that my 23 yr old A-son is back at home after being gone for those 5 yrs.- I really need to rethink the fine line / slippery slope facing me with enabling. I realize my son has some Hardwire issues with anxiety & depression of which addiction is just one of the symptoms However, if he is not able or willing to addrss this I can mommy manage his life and put myself at risk financially + emotionally. I have some choices to make too.