Thread: Dr. Phill
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2003, 03:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Dr Phil has said several times that he has high regard for 12 step programs. Interventions are done often with about the same results as other methods...like Smoke said...done right at least it can't hurt.

Part 2 was far less commercial than Part 1 was. It was intense and very real. I have seen the look on that boys face more times than I can count. There was compassion and firmness and not one huge "come watch" statement. It was draining for the families, the audience and the viewers...at least me.

I have known for a long time that it is possible to create a crisis. When a wife says stop or I leave she is doing the same thing. When parents say get straight or get out it is not so different. The difference here is that rehab is in place but rehab has the same success rate also.

It begins when he gets out. I cringed when they said 30 days and not more like 90. And I cringed when the family looked so thrilled at Dr Phil's offer to pay for rehab...like it would all be ok. It will not be okay. He will still be an addict and as many of us know we don't sleep any better after they get sober. Not for a very long time.

I am glad he attacked this topic. His statement about hitting bottom being a myth threw me momentarily but all it was is a play on words. If this boy gets straight long term then this WAS his bottom. He had had enough, he had dug as deep as he wanted to dig.

At the end of todays show Phil alluded to the fact that this was only the beginning. He may be 90% money making showman but that is one statement that no one can refute.

Hugs,
JT