Thread: Dr. Phill
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2003, 12:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Chalkie
Paused

As uninformed and "new" as I feel about alcoholism, I do agree w/Margo that everyone's "bottom" is a different place, it just so happened my A b/f saw his bottom at a similar place as Chy's.

He has a plan for his future, which includes me, but he saw that w/the drinking, he wasn't getting anywhere near to putting his plan into action...roaming w/his job, coming home because he missed me and had other plans for employment and housing that didn't pan out, back on the road because he needed money and it gave him shelter and food, back home to me when finally it hit him that he was basically homeless and jobless, no means to put his (our) future plans into action. He told me that if he didn't take this path (rehab), any other path would only lead to his destruction and losing me, and he didn't want this to happen. Keep in mind, I've never given him an ultimatum, I didn't feel we were at that point of our relationship where it was fit for me to do so and I'm thinking I was truly unaware how much of a problem drinking (or not drinking) was for him. When he revealed to me that he was committing himself to rehab and I was one of his reasons, it really scared me. I don't want to be his reason, or be responsible for him getting sober. I'm wholly supportive and will continue to be supportive of him and his sobriety, I'm just scared that if I'm his reason, what happens should he drink again? What happens if he and I find we will have no future together? Will I be to blame?