View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
kelsh

Hi Gabe,

I had a counselor that was a gay man, and he also ended up being my Supervisor after I completed my BA Degree and went to work for the County Mental Health Center.

He is the kindest, thoughtful, and most considerate man I have ever met. I was seeing him for my depression and of course I couldn't go to work there until I had been done with counseling for six months.

He ended up resigning after turmoil at the Mental Health Center. Some of the very negative workers that had lied about their college degrees were let go and they retaliated in any way they could.

They set my Supervisor up to get caught with Pot and to be arrested. There was no way he could get out of it and so he lost his counselor's license.

This was in 1998 I think. He moved back to Idaho where he had built a log house on his own property and where his Mother was. He and his Mother were very close. He is a sensitive and empathetic man & son.

We still keep in touch with each other. I am a recovering alcoholic and even when I was drinking every day I worked taking care of the Elderly and did have empathy for what it was worth at that time....Of course I coudn't wait to get off work and go to my girlfriends to drink. I have five children and the youngest was still at home when my drinking was at its worst. Being a single Mom, I took a lot of chances of having her removed from my home due to my drinking.

When I made the decision to quit, I didn't know how I was going to do it but I did with the help of AA and all of my new friends. My girlfriend sobered up a year after I did...then died of Cancer several years later.

I have found that I make acquaintences with people that are recovering alcoholics more easily than others. Many of us are a kind lot in sobriety, which was disguised under the active alcoholic personality, that just cared about when and where the next drink would come.

I wish you all the luck in finding a new relationship. I do hope you like the new job in New York. That makes it easier to justify the move.