View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Guinevere

I read around SR frequently, but don't have much time to post. My 30 year old AS was scheduled to start a new full-time construction job today. He has been living with Angels who allowed him to stay at their house 200 miles away hoping that new faces, places and toys would help him break the dope habit. AS says he is clean. Since he is not around and I don't make many phone calls, I don't know. He does on occasion respond to emails.

At times I am able to think about my daughters and their children and a little about work, but too many times thoughts drift to concerns about whether AS will ever make it to the other side long enough to see how brightly the sun can shine.

You are all inspirations to me and to the other parents of addicts who seem to join the group daily. I don't know what I would have done without the words of other SR members. Thanks for being a mouse-click away.

Keeping you all in my prayers. :praying

Is it a codie thing to want to do volunteer work at a shelter/mission that works with addcits in recovery? I think it would provide purpose in my life to be able to teach in that kind of a setting. My experiences have really made me examine my values.

On a side note: it was one year ago this month that my son sat at this table and confessed to being addicted to pain medications. He wanted help, but he had not even come close to his bottom. Dad and I thought we could support him and love him enough to get him to quit; what we did was enable. Here it is three detoxes and one rehab later; we are poorer and wiser.