Thread: I'm ashamed
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by LadyJane666
I'm ashamed
(I cant believe I found this without spending several consecutive hours searching the net.)
“Michael Lewis, author of Shame: The Exposed Self. Guilt is a response to bad behavior. Shame, on the other hand, "is so powerful because it's about a defective self," he says. In shame, explains Lewis, the very self is "rotten and no good." That's why intense feelings of shame can actually drive people into shameless behavior, such as jealous rage.” (or deeper into addiction)

I believe in the importance of a healthy self-concept and one way for me to maintain one is to understand the power of self talk. Just as positive self-talk can help build confidence, negative self-talk can tear it down. Negative self-talk can make things seem more difficult than they are.

What I believe about myself as a human being verses my behavior can make or break my efforts to follow a healthy life style in the face of adversity.

With that said and as well said by others here at SR: let go of the shame or it will hold you down.
Peace.
Zencat.