View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Gender ratios in meetings depend on where you go and what time of day.

There's a thursday morning meeting here in Vegas that is held at a temple in the middle of a middle-class neighborhood. Attendance is 100% women, except when I show up. We call it the "Soccer mom" meeting.

Another meeting on wednesday nights down in Boulder city is about half and half. There's a Sunday nite one that is around the corner from a AA meet and people wander back and forth from one to the other.

When I was in L.A. there was a mens only Al-anon meet at the Canyon Club in Laguna Beach. About 100 guys every week, and all of them had practically the exact same story as me.

A sponsor is someone who has recently overcome the challenges you are facing today. For that reason it is _strongly_ recommended that a sponsor be of the same gender, else they won't have the same experience as you.

Originally Posted by tollbooth View Post
...My apologies to Desertmike and the other guys that I have seen posting here. Its just that it has me questioning my "machismo" at the moment, for not being able to deal with my A-relationship. ....
* lol * not a problem. I understand completely. Here's how we solve the "machismo" question in Vegas.

Go on down to the pharmacy and get a bottle of ipecac. Then drink the _whole_ bottle. All of it. Be "macho" and do _not_ throw up. Go ahead, be macho.

You can be the Terminator himself and that little bottle of chemicals is going to kick your tush all day, and all night.

A _human being_ is _not_ more powerful than plain old chemistry. We humans have limitations (do you know the Dirty Harry line about limitations? ) Booze and drugs are chemicals. All the "macho" in the world means _nothing_ to chemicals. We all are powerless over chemicals, including the ones our "significant others" consume.

Any time you get to forgeting that lesson, pick up a bottle of ipecac

Mike