View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
karaoketoe

Hello from a new NA family member

Its odd how I became a member of NA.

A friend called me the other day, and in desperation said, "I need help!"

My heart dropped when she told me her doc, as it was also my doc and I just took an immediate reflection on her current state. As I was there and I know what youre going through.

Although I didnt seek NA in my detox, not recovery! but detox, and you already know, but ill tell you anyways. I thought I was cured after not using my doc for 18mths. Yea, I kicked that s**t! Im good to go.

Something sparked up in me and said, I GOTTA GET HER TO A NA MEETING NOW! Although I had never personally been to one.

Humbling it is I must say. I need this just as much as she does. Although I havent been using my doc, Ive still been using other forms socially, and I dare not say functionally, cause Im still in that rut Ive been in for some time now, after losing EVERYTHING! House, Car, My own business. Ive been beating my head, "Why cant I get ahead!"

Its because, "I am an addict, I am powerless over my addiction and my life has become unmanagable"

I didnt pick up a keychain that first night, but I started seeing a pieces of myself in each person that spoke. (did 4 meetings that night) I was pushing to go to the next meeting not only for her but for me as well.

Next day first meeting, (2 sat night) I picked up a Keychain (as did she). Second meeting I bought the blue basic text. Went to two more meetings Sunday, Football? Pfft. Im going to a meeting.

This is the first weekend in a long, long, long time I havent been drunk, on something or coming off something.

Hello, my name is Doug, Im an addict. (6 days into my new clean life)