Thread: New Era
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 07:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
marle

My addict is my 21 year old daughter. We basically went through the same thing when she went to her first year of college. We did not know that she was using and so we believed the stories of losing her gas card ($100 and never used), losing her ID card, needing money for gas, etc. She also had a job and she and the bf were going through incredible amounts of money. It was not until she quit college (with 57 credits and a 3.87 GPA) and moved into an apartment in our town with the boyfriend that we discovered the real reason why she went through so much money. I tried everything to stay in front of her to prevent the use and to follow around behind her and clean up the mess. Nothing worked. When she got tired of mom being in her business, she took up with a 37 year old crack addict who made good money and bought all her drugs. She does not work or go to college anymore. She and the boyfriend live with his mom in a one bedroom apartment. The mom is a big enabler and out of 4 adults living there, she is the only one who works. The crack addict boyfriend can no longer hold down his 6 figure job. Moral of the story: Your son is going to do what he is going to do and college or no college, it will not make a difference except in your pocketbook. I know that I wanted my daughter to go to college so badly that I overlooked the warning signs that she was headed for trouble. If your son is using it will not be long before the chaos catches up to him and he no longer will be able to hide it. Hugs and prayers, Marle