Thread: New Era
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 06:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Easeful

Originally Posted by Elana View Post

My parents had no money for me for college. They were too busy trying to keep the mortgage paid, go to work, and provide food to be giving me money for college. The deal was that I had to go to college. I had to go for 4 years. I had to pay for it myself.
We've been blessed and so we give our children 4 years of college as a part of their entitlement. The ride starts in Aug. following hs graduation and ends in May 4 years later. There are no sabbaticals no leaves of absence. Our plan has been met with mixed success.

#1. Got a full ride on an athletic scholarship and blew it off in favor of marriage after 2 years.
#2. Quit. Entered the military which then paid for their graduate and undergraduate degrees.
#3. Quit after the first semester. Works manual labor and always will.
#4. Quit after the second semester. Put themselves through on the job training and works in finance.
#5. Is working on their masters, that they are paying for.
#6. Needed an additional semester to finish their undergraduate. Had to pay for it themselves and is currently in graduate school that they are paying for by working ft. Advice to the next youngest was, "When they say 4 years, they mean 4 years."
#7. Might actually get a year of graduate school in under the 4 year limit, if the drugs don't get him first.

::sigh:: And whether or not it is clear to me, undoubtedly the universe is unfolding, exactly as it should.