Thread: New Era
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 05:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Easeful

Originally Posted by lil516 View Post

I have spent much time wondering if earlier intervention could have helped us avoid some of the tragedies we (he) faced in the following years...

research has shown that those addicts who are diagnosed early and get treatment sooner have the best chance at recovery....

in that sense I'd follow the advice of "get between your child and the drug"
do whatever you can to promote early intervention....(IMO...intervention is not enabling)
Thanks, unlike me my son has the benefit of having a mother who shared her experiences with addiction. (my own mother died in the closet). And so he's been well aware from an early age of the risks and I think for the most part has not been in denial about his own drug use. Although I do see a little of the, "I can quit anytime I want to, I know I've done it hundreds of times." I hope this helps him at some point.

As for intervention, I've had no experience that makes me think outside interventions work so I doubt I would try one. If our son asks we'll probably give him one rehab on our ticket, but I don't have much hope for that route either. It seems to me that people get clean or sober when they're ready to do it and that some of them happen to be in rehab at the time.