Thread: New Era
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Easeful

New Era

Hi All, This is my first time posting to this forum. I need input and hope you can help. My son is a few weeks away from being 20 years old. He has experimented with drugs since he was 15 but has always remained function, maintained honor student status, etc. I've been through several "detoxes" with him at home. I believe mostly for marijuana and alcohol use. He got himself clean and somber last May without my help and I believe remained clean through the summer.

Here's the question......he's back at the University now and going through $100. in cash every 3-4 days. He's living in a dorm and has a meal plan, there should be very little need for cash. In the past his pattern has been to spend about $350 a month (which I do think is pretty low) and it wasn't ever largely in cash withdrawals.

I'm thinking this is a pattern that may represent meth use. Does anyone know?

Also I'm not stranger to addiction myself, being an alcoholic as well as the child of alcoholics, but I'm unsure how to handle this situation. Obviously he needs some money and most of what he's going through is his own earnings from the summer. I've talked with him several times and he is defensive, but then you probably would be if you were being accused of drug use and weren't using and you most definately would be if you were using. I'm cutting down his access to my cash to what I consider a reasonable amount for school expenses. He gave me his earnings from the summer to hold so that he wouldn't waste them, so I can limit his spending there if it's appropriate.

I guess I understand allowing them to hit their bottom, I'm just not sure if I have to fund the ride?

Thanks for any and all help.

Easeful