Old 10-03-2007, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
outonalimb

((((((Selah)))))))

Hugs from one Michigan gal to another !

I'm sorry for the disappointment...for the pain...for the anger...for all of the overwhelming emotions that come along with having your hopes dashed yet again by addiction.

I heard the same promises from my exah many times over. And I really think he meant each and every one of them when he made them...even if he had a packet of heroin or a bottle of pills calling to him at the time...I think he genuinely wanted to quit and have the life he dreamed of...one free of addiction. And yet, the pull of addiction was just too strong.

There is nothing you can do or say to help him. Nothing! And compromising your own health, sanity, and well-being won't make things better. You know this in your head...but you have to know it in your heart too.

The question isn't whether you love him. Clearly, you do because you were willing to work thru the pain of the past once he got out of rehab. The true question...is whether you love yourself.
Life with an addict comes with a boatload of pain, lies, uncertainty, false hope, and heartache. You aren't trapped. You can build a better life for yourself. You just gotta love yourself enough to do it. And I believe you do. don't do anything to spite him or teach him a lesson...do it because you deserve some peace and happiness in your life. If you're doing it for YOU...you'll find the strength you need. Promise!!

Sending hugs and strength...