View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

((((Greet)))))

Years ago, when I was placed on an antidepessant, I cried and told the doctor "but I'm a nurse! I'm supposed to be able to handle this without meds".

He explained to me that depression is a chemical reaction in the brain and it can't be "fixed" by "snapping out of it". The meds work because they get the chemicals back to they way they're supposed to work. He explained that is is no different than a diabetic who needs insulin to keep their blood sugar under control.

Some people can eventually come off them but others need them for a lifetime. It's NOT a weakness. I haven't taken antidepressants for years and did okay but I may need them again 'cause I see myself getting back into the isolation and other behaviours I had back then. I'm just waiting to see if this is "situational" because of a lot of stress right now.

Don't be hard on yourself. If you need the meds, it's no worse than if you needed a med for your heart.

Hope you feel better soon. You've helped me out a lot since I've come to SR and I appreciate you.

Hugs and prayers!
Amy