View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
godsfavdrunk
What did I join this time?

I have a nightmare about sleeping for lack of a better way to put it. Been sober six months now and not long ago went 10 days with 10 hours of sleep and most of that 15-20 minutes at the time. I started my great 20 year drinking binge because I could not sleep in college. Took melatonin and still do, probably not the best to take it in the morning but it stops all the 1000 monkeys in my head and lets me concentrate on one thought. It's not hard for my mind to kick it out late at night if someone calls and gets my brain working again. But I did find relief in therapy. She said she was going to hypnotize me but I would not be asleep and would remember. For the first time in months I'm now sleeping, not as good as I would like but I'm sleeping in 4 hours chunks of time.
Some people told me to take benedryl but I went with melatonin since it had the exact same structure that the brain produces. I'm a true addict, you got it, I'll do it. I just liked the feeling. Yes I'm gods favorite drunk and alcohol was my oxygen, but when I wanted to be high I turned to drugs. So I was very hesitant to put anything in me that I could mentally or physically become addicted to. I'm moving off the mel to some other herbal sedatives that keep me calm during the day. Stress is something I don't handle well now that I'm sober and I do all I can to avoid it. I'm not saying that what works for me works for everybody but I had to get over being afraid to sleep as when I do terror dreams usually are there. Thats another thread but keep trying to find your solution. It took me months, and I swore I would never go to therapy that I could fix my own head. Well I can't. I wish you the best, just know that there are many others like you out there and we all just want a nights sleep. On a final note, I had clean sheets last night and they made me feel good. Re-arranging the bedroom is next. I'll try anything ya got, LOL.
Hope you sleep well,
GFD