View Single Post
Old 04-21-2002, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pernell Johnson

Galnva, hello there. I read Morning glory post and felt compelled to say something here. I do not know how you are identifying yourself and I am making no assumptions. If you read the other post on Love Addicts that could give you an idea how you fit in.
I will say this, the Love Addict is motivated only in withdrawal and recovery is somewhat more difficult. The Love Addict has to give up the fantasy and learn self-love and self-care, while the Love Avoidant has to give up the risk-seeking behavior and become more relationally vulnerable by the use of boundaries, not walls. It is difficult work for both of them.
Sadly, neither the Love Addict nor the Love Avoidant actually knows how to love----they must be taught. One confuses fantasy with love and objectifies the partner. The other is in a relationship out of duty, an often is allergic to the concept of love as he associates the word with being soffocated or oppressed. He uses sex to medicate and frequently sexually objectifies his partners. Both need to learn how to love and be appropriately vulnerable sexually. i would suggest that you purchase this book and see if you can find some direction.

Facing Love Addiction
by Pia Mellody

Just for Today---------I am Sober