Thread: Laughter
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 3/31

Al-Anon is where many of us who have lives with alcoholism begin to grow up for the first time. We learn to face the world as it really is and to take responsibility for our actions. We deal with our feelings and share honestly about our experiences. We learn about ourselves and nurture our spiritual growth and our physical and mental well being. We become responsible adults.

An important part of the serious business of recovery involves recognizing our need to have fun – to take a trip, fly a kite, attend a concert, make noise, race down the street, or blow bubbles. Light-heartedness can put troublesome situations into perspective. It reminds us that there is more to life than the problem at hand.

Taking ourselves too seriously won’t solve a problem any quicker. In fact, taking a break may help more than continuing to struggle – even Jello must be left alone in order to form as it should. A good laugh may be the best tool available to help us let go, and we’ll come back to our task refreshed.

Today’s Reminder

A well-developed sense of humor helps me detach from my personal struggles and triumphs. I will avoid taking myself too seriously today.

“One inch of joy surmounts of grief a span,
Because to laugh is proper to the man.” Francois Rabelais