View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 03:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

I don't think I would take well to being interrupted, either. And if I was new, I don't think our group would do that to me.

When we got a bunch of newbies in, the focus WAS on the addict because they didn't yet have sponsors, and the meeting was the only safe place to express their pain. When one of the oldtimers shared HER ESH... she talked about the role of a sponsor, especially in relation to sharing - and that if I find myself NEEDING to talk at every meeting, it is likely I need to examine how often I am sharing with my sponsor.

On the preacher - egad! I know what you mean. In our group, the "preacher" is a double winner who started in the "other" program. In those rooms, time in program is more emphasized... and "wisdom from the elders" seems to carry a different weight. He really doesn't hear that he is sharing with "You should" "You need to" "You must".

In his case, I know when I've followed one of his sermons, I've talked about sharing from my own experience and give examples of what "I-statements" sound like and how that has helped me "hear" better when others share that way.

I don't have any idea if he hears me or not... but I hear me - and sometimes I am the one I am speaking to.... smile.

Rahsue.... if you want, you can show up at a meeting, not share at all and then see if you can talk to others privately after. This might aleviate your fear of being somehow off-kilter during the meeting - remember we were ALL new once! And the most important person at any meeting... is the newcomer.

((hugs))