Old 09-11-2007, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
eveningprimrose

Question son about to come home from rehab; any advice?

i'm a new poster here.. my son age 21 elected to go into a 30 day residential rehab and is going to be home in a few days. although he rents a small house, he has asked if he could live with us for a while as he's afraid of his old friends hanging around and of being lonely if he goes back there. we've agreed that it would be fine to do that for a while. We have an appointment with a counselor a couple of days after he gets home to iron out a "contract" with him with expectations on both sides for behavior, responsibilities, and so forth as we want to have everything laid out as clearly as possible. I'm just wondering, though... other than helping him get to na meetings and his counselor (and his job) does anyone have any advice for us? my husband and i don't drink or smoke or anything, so no problem there; i've gotten rid of the couple of bottles of wine that were in the house and purged our medicine cabinets of old prescription meds and so forth. And yes, I know we didn't cause, can't control, and can't cure his addiction. I've mostly come to terms with that, and we're working on it. Still, though, I'm his mom and would like to do what I can to help him in his newfound sobriety. so... advice? thanks!