View Single Post
Old 04-17-2002, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
smoke gets in my eyes

Thumbs down Rational Rhetoric

A couple of posts on the general recovery board and the alcoholism board prompted me to go visit the rational recovery site (rational.org). It's an alternative recovery system that I would probably think was kind of neat except that they want to blast 12 step programs. Everything about 12 steps is wrong. You can't even have a relapse. Oh, I mean you can HAVE a relapse but you have to call it breaking your Big Plan. You may not use words the 12 steps use except for the unavoidable ones like addiction, recovery and sober. Doesn't matter when the concept coincides... you have to use their words because AA is WRONG. You don't need a recovery group. What you need is a decision to not use. (uh, duh!) Oh yeah, and then you're going to need a little reinforcement in the form of our books and tapes for only $$$$$$$$$$. Do not be sucked into using the free reinforcement you might find in a 12 step meeting. And you do this all by yourself. Pay no attention to our new message board with over 4000 posts on it. You won't need ANY help with this system. Do not ask us to explain why you need to plunk down big bucks for literature that tells you all you have to do is decide today to be drug free forever and you will be. You aren't addicted. That's your addictive voice talking and IT wants a drink, not you.

I have a feeling Dino's addictive voice would have the rational recovery site for lunch.