Thread: All About Me
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
greeteachday
Administrator

Okay, I was way too tired last night when i saw this right before turning in to respond, but I think it is a great idea Heather, thanks!

So much about being able to talk about who I am is related to working a program and dealing with me instead of trying to fix everyone else. For the first time since before I had kids, I believe *I* define *me.* When I was raising my girls, my kids tended to define me…not by anything they did, just the way I viewed myself. As they got older, my work defined me, again because I allowed it to. Now, I am discovering the me that lies beneath the layers…like peeling away an onion.

I too am passionate about reading - classic literature and novels, primarily and I love to research things that pique my curiosity. Although I tend to be a quick study, for some reason I have difficulty remembering the names of actors/actresses, singers and even authors. I guess my focus is more on the substance rather than the particular name. Similarly in work, I tend to remember the nature of the case rather than the particular individual or entity name. I rarely watch TV or movies, I think because I have trouble sitting still for extended periods of time. (But when 6 ft under was on and 24, I watched them every week...an interest I share with you Heather)

I enjoy people but have a need for alone time as well…Too much interaction drains me physically and emotionally and I am content and at peace when doing things alone…It helps me recharge and tends to maintain my spiritual connection (the greatest blessing of recovery) I think I am a good, active listener, a trait that seems like I always had, but worked to improve when I realized how much it bothers me to be speaking and know that if I stopped mid-sentence, the person “listening” wouldn’t know or care.

My other interests include working out at the gym (I am pleased to say I am more fit at newly 50 than maybe even ever before), long walks, hikes with a camera, kayaking, swimming, collecting shells and unusual stones on the beach, and anything related to the ocean. I still love body surfing and a good wave…I think I will be 80 and still out there tangling with the breaking surf. I tend to come alive more in the nice weather; if it is going to be cold, I’d prefer snow to take advantage of winter sports.

I have an appreciation of beauty in nature and in the art forms and wish I had artistic talent. I’m thinking of trying some sort of basic class in hopes that I can develop some ability…I know I don’t come by it naturally, but there’s much in my heart that I wish I could convey in art.

I can be serious and I am working on not overanalyzing things, but I can also be playful, enjoy being silly sometimes and I value humor in all aspects of my life. I think sharing true laughter with someone I love is a beautiful part of intimacy.