View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LisaWayne

Wondering what's next

Nope! I am not codie, am not , am not, am not! “HA!” They all said.. “then how come you know exactly how much he drinks every night? And how come you look to see if there is indeed yet another new bottle in the cabinet as soon as you get home from work everyday”???

Once my AH got up to finishing a full fifth of scotch every night, I was astounded. How can he function day in and day out? And, where will he go from here?

I think I am about to find out. It looks as if he has been trying to control his drinking the past few nights. He didn’t drink one night and the two following that, he only drank half a bottle or so … this morning I had a scary thought and imagined I heard the bell toll… that the next step down the ladder is coming. It has been my experience that efforts to control are “followed by still less control” (to paraphrase the Big Book). They don’t sell the expensive scotch he likes in gallon jugs… so he must be wondering in his head what comes next. We don’t talk about his drinking anymore.. heck, we don’t talk much about anything anymore. That’s my choice. He’s a really intellectual guy who is up on all the latest headlines and he has won millions on Jeopardy, from our living room! But all I hear anymore is the slurring and I shut him out. . This problem though.. it must have him stumped.

One time a few years back, he went and parked outside a meeting, but didnt go in.. I want to offer to go in with him. Ah, what the heck, I think I will. It cant make things worse and I promise not to get my hopes up and be angry towards him if he says not. Maybe this is a good time to offer him that alternative.