View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 03:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
lucyo

yes you are so right about that nicki, but na.org also has the bulletin concerning methadone and other drug replacement therapy on their site and frequently when this issue comes up, that is what people refer to...
here's a link to Bulletin 29: Regarding Methadone and Other Drug Replacement Programs:
http://www.na.org/bulletins/bull29.htm

neither the naway magizine nor the bulletin are fellowship approved literature... and just like the bulletin is the opinion of those writing it at the time, so is the NAWAY article. at least thats how i look at it

my opinion here again: methadone and other drug replacement therapies are outside issues, but some groups/areas have guidelines regarding sharing if you've used, and cleantime requirements for trusted servant positions. so we as individuals (not na as a whole) do have to make judgment calls when it comes to whether a person on DRT is using or not.

when this subject comes up, sounds like whoever wrote that last NAWAY article would have us stick our head in the sand and not care or ignore the fact if we have using addicts being trusted servants or not. i say we should care, particularly in regards to being a trusted servant. i dont think na as a whole will ever come out with a statment saying those on drug replacement therapy are clean, but i could be wrong.

if you read bulletin 29 it would appear na does have an opinion, maybe not on methadone maintance/DRT per se, but on whether a person on DRT is clean.
it says :
Members on drug replacement programs such as methadone are encouraged to attend NA meetings. But, this raises the question: "Does NA have the right to limit members participation in meetings?" We believe so. While some groups choose to allow such members to share, it is also a common practice for NA groups to encourage these members (or any other addict who is still using), to participate only by listening and by talking with members after the meeting or during the break. This is not meant to alienate or embarrass; this is meant only to preserve an atmosphere of recovery in our meetings.

Our Fifth Tradition defines our groups' purpose: to carry the message that any addict can stop using and find a new way to live. We carry that message at our recovery meetings, where those who have some experience with NA recovery can share about it, and those who need to hear about NA recovery can listen. When an individual under the influence of a drug attempts to speak on recovery in Narcotics Anonymous, it is our experience that a mixed, or confused message may be given to a newcomer (or any member, for that matter) For this reason, many groups believe it is inappropriate for these members to share at meetings of Narcotics Anonymous.

It may be argued that a group's autonomy, as described in our Fourth Tradition, allows them to decide who may share at their meetings. However, while this is true, we believe that group autonomy does not justify allowing someone who is using to lead a meeting, be a speaker, or serve as a trusted servant. Group autonomy stands only until it affects other groups or NA as a whole. We believe it affects other groups and NA as a whole when we allow members who are not clean to be a speaker, chair a meeting, or be a trusted servant for NA.