View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
shutterbug
A picture's worth a 1000 words

If you have tried several antidepressants and things have continued to get worse then I'd suggest continuing to try a few other antidepressants.

Have you tried Welbutrin yet? Many do well on it.

But more importantly, if you are seeing a general physician then please see a psychiatrist as depression and mental health is what they do....general docs often make things worse for not understanding mental health issues and meds enough.

If you are seeing a psychiatrist then have they tried higher doses of the same anti-depressants?

Mood stabalizers are most often prescribed for mood disorders like bipolar disorder. Their primary function is stabalizing mood swings. You may very well have experienced one or more manic or hypomanic periods and were not aware. Most people only become aware of the depressions. I was hypomanic for at least 6 months in college without knowing anything was going on at all....then i hit my first major depression which caused me to have to drop out of college for a semester...as i couldn't do much but sleep and be physically sick all the time.

it wasn't until 7 years and many more hypomanic episodes, that i crashed into my second major depression....that ended in me discovering my bipolar diagnosis.

BUT there are many other diagnosis out ther that cause mood swings besides bipolar...and you many not have swings at all.

Although....depression is usually a symptom of something more (rather than the sole problem as most of society thinks).

Mood stabalizers are harder to get right in individuals and there are as wide a range of experineces with the different ones as there are people who are prescribed it.

So...in summery...go see a pdoc for the depression (not a general physician), think back on how things were going the year before your depression started, and i'd also suggest making an appointment with a clinical psychologist for full testing to see if there may be an underlying diagnosis you may not be aware of yet. When i did mine...it was about a 3 hour set of tests and talking with the psychologist about my history...and it only cost me the same as a regular co-pay for a regular doc visit.

hugs,
Jenna