View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
GiveLove

I just have to remember that the world does not revolve around me...and I mean that in a good way. I am simply not so important that everything said or done by the 6 billion people on this planet is some kind of personal indictment against me or endorsement of me. I'm not the center of attention and I don't want to be.

I am fortunate in my unfortunateness. When you have Very Bad Things happen to you, stuff like people being verbally abusive tends to find its proper perspective....IT BECOMES A REFLECTION OF THEM, NOT YOU. What kind of person would say such things to a quiet and kindly person like me? An addicted jerk. Period. It's hard at first to mentally shut the door like that; there's always a foot in it. But with practice it gets to be second nature.

As a card-carrying codie, I had to make a checklist for when someone tries to undermine my self-image: Are they holding a weapon? No. Are both hands around my throat? No. Are they threatening to kill my child/dog/sea monkeys? No. Good then -- they can keep talking all they want. It's not about you when they open their mouthes. Imagine them as white laundry flapping on a line way down the block. Practice this in your head: "I'm leaving the room now, and my HP and I are going for ice cream. Don't forget to turn off the lights when you're done. If you think you might want to have a grownup conversation some time, call my voicemail and leave a message." Practice, practice, practice.

Love for yourself conquers all.

(((HK)))

GL