View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HKAngel24

Taking Things Personally

I feel like a forum hog or something for starting all these posts. Just been trying to explore alot of my thoughts lately without judgement and am eager to find out the opinions of other wise ones on the boards.

Taking Things personally - I think this is a codie behavior, but it is one that I suffer from greatly. Learning to separate is hard. Seems my inclination is to ALWAYS attribute someone's foul mood, lashing out at me etc. as an indication of some defect in me, some mistake I made or something I did that was wrong...
I read the Melody Beattie piece on "our property" and am reminded of the need to separate.

I think that taking things personally is also another tool that our inner critic/codie side of us uses to keep us down- tell us that things will pop up all over to remind us of the bad things about ourselves.
It has taken a CONCIOUS effort for me to lasso my reactions and reel them in, BREATHE and try to untangle the mess of MINE and HIS.

As I often relay here- there is still that part of me that still thinks that all the hurtful things he said, his neglecting and what I felt to be "abandoning" me was due to a defect within ME and not necessarily the drug usage.

Just another thread I wanted to open to see how others deal with minding their own business and not taking things personally. Seems like a fine line.