Thread: How to talk
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
graci

How to talk

Since my boyfriend has admitted to his drug abuse problem and his depression, we have really only been able to talk on the phone. He is across the country from me stationed on a military base. When we talk on the phone he always sounds depressed he is tired and has a low frustration tolerance. He is seeking treatment within the military but cant get it right away due to other circumstances. In the interim I noticed I am having trouble keeping the conversation light, staying away from the issue of drug abuse, because I dont want our conversations to be just about that, and neither does he. I am met with silence usually if I bring up anything having to do with our relationship or if I am needing reassurance that he still wants to seek help (he has told me a few times he still does) I need some advice as to how to get the laughter back into him and the closeness back into our relationship. One of his coping mechanisms is to just not deal with things obviously or to push people away. How do i talk to him? He is very depressed waiting for possible discharge from the military and waiting for treatment.