View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lucyo

we have people in narcotics anonymous who's drug of choice became methadone and who've successfully quit. does it sound right for a person currently taking methadone to be chairing a meeting, taking H&I meetings into a treatment facility, speaking to the public about narcotics anonymous and be using methadone, no matter whether its prescribed or not... while there are people there desperately trying to quit/stay quit from the methadone? i imagine i would have started back taking it cause it must be ok if the chairperson can take it!

i believe most people on methadone realize this and dont even allow themselves to be nominated for such positions, until they are clean from the methadone.

narcotics anonymous is a program of complete abstinence from mood/mind altering drugs. a person on drug replacement therapy drugs is not abstinent.

i'm all for a person doing whatever it takes to stay clean... but some of them are contrary to what we learn in na. our literature talks about abstinence, it doesn't tell us to go to a doctor and get a prescription to maintain, taper off, make it easier.

and congratulations on 5 years clean.