Old 08-17-2007, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Melanchonika View Post
wow, that was VERY good. the principles can help anyone dealing with any sort of dysfunction or addictive behavior. i REALLY enjoyed reading about that method. where does that information come from......is it just one 'approach' of many, of delaing with addiction, or is it used by a certain recovery group in particular (like SMART, etc)?
CBT(Cognative Behavioral Therapy) is not just recovery based. It is a form of psychological theory and practice...just like Freudism is. I was first exposed to it many years ago when my mother took me to family therapy and the Cognitive Behaviorist realized my mother didn't want help and kicked her out and saw me for the rest of the session (he was right, my mom just loved the attention!).

SMART Recovery uses REBT(Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy) which was one of the earliest forms of CBT. REBT was founded by Albert Ellis, and he supported SMART Recovery until he passed away earlier this year.

The Rational Recovery movement used to be based on REBT but has since distanced itself from them and Ellis.