View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ruch

Alcoholism and Raising Children

Hi all.....Wanted to get some thoughts from my conrads in recovery on this. My wife and I are beginning to discuss bringing a child into the world. She has all the pre-natal books and reads them non-stop and I'm doing everything I can to get my sh!t together. She just went off the pill so we're gonna wait atleast three months before we even start trying.

Here is my dilemma......Although she herself isn't an addict or alkie both run in her family. I myself am an Alkie and both sides of my family have been devastated by drugs and alcohol. Now considering the hereditary factor in this are we going to bring a child into this world with the deck stacked against him or her?

My hope is that my wife never became an addict because she was never around that lifestyle. Like I said, it runs in her family but the people in her immediate family cleaned up their acts before she ever got to see it. I on the other hand was raised watching my Dad drink all the time. He never went a day without a drink(actually several drinks). And their were also stretches where him and my stepmom were all hopped up on hard drugs.

Sorry for the long winded backround but here is my question. Assuming I keep my life in order and stay sober and my wife does the same and we do all the right things as far as bringing the kid up in a healthy household does that somewhat negate the hereditary factor? Does it give the kid more of an even playing field? Thanks for listening, I look foward to your thoughts.