View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cinderellawkids

New beginning reading today

When I read this today I thought of amny of you and your posts recently. I hope it means as much to you as it does to me.

I love you all.

For me, stopping smoking wasn't a matter of will power, but being will-less.
--Joan Gilbertson

Most of us have struggled, willfully, with untold numbers of addictions; liquor, uppers, downers, sugar, chocolate, cigarettes, men. The more we became determined to control our use or to abstain, the greater the compulsion felt for one drink, one bite, one puff. Giving in completely was the turning point.

This recovery program helps each of us find relief from our primary addiction once we humble ourselves, accept our powerlessness, and ask for help. It can help us equally effectively, every day, with any problem we are willfully trying to control. Is a family member causing us grief? Is a co-worker creating anxiety? Has a close friend pulled away? We expend so much energy trying to manage outcomes! In most cases, our attempt to control will invite even more resistance.

The program offers the way out of any frustrating situation. We can be mindful of our powerlessness and cherish the opportunities offered by our higher power. We can turn over whatever our problem to God and quietly, trustingly, anticipate the resolution. It's guaranteed.

How much easier I will find life's experiences if I will let go of my willful ways. The right outcome in all cases will more quickly surface.