Thread: your stories
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Elana
Bridge CLOSED

If you file for divorce he will be required to pay support for the children.

I was with an alcoholic husband for almost 20 years. yes. Twenty dang years of my precious life.. and I worried about money and about caring for the animals cuz God knows he would not have milked the cows if I left.

Two years after being married, I tried to leave.. went to my family and THEY BROUGHT ME BACK saying it was a lovers spat. yeah right. He drank. I spat.

It took me another 17 years to leave. Man was I a jerk or what? I did love the farm but the one pperson I was not loving was ME.

Well, I went out and I got a job off the farm. It was not a great job but it allowed me to move out and pay my rent. I wasn't rich but I was at peace. I struggled. I worked extra jobs. I lived my life. He went further into alcoholism and his loving dear sister had him committed to a menatl hospital.. where he died 8 months later of a heart attack.. and she got her hands on nearly a half a million dollars in assets. I got just over $100k TOTAL after taxes. Yup. Milked cows 20 years and that was my reward.

but, I was FREE.

I left that job and got another low paying job. Worked three jobs and went to school. I worked all the time. Met Steve the addict. did not know he was an addict. Did not know about co dependency. I did not know anything.

I got a better job. Steve and I moved in together. He left after a year and after I got a promotion.

It has taken me 7 years to get to where I am today. It was hard work. I had responsibilities and I lived up to them. I have a great credit rating. I pay my bills. I am doing OK. Could do better and I am working on that.

I went thru times of little heat.. not turning on lights.. no computers.. no TV.. nothing extra that cost money. I had a garden patch to help feed myself.

I stood at the bottom of a huge wall when i left my husband and we were divorced. Little by little I have been climbing that wall. It isn't fun, but no one can take away from me what I have done.. and you know what? I HAVE DONE IT. No one else did it. I am here to day because of what I have done!