View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 12:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
pedagogue

Originally Posted by BeeBee View Post
So basically it's trial and error with benzo's. There really is nothing I have to go on that may help me decide if one benzo may work for me better than another? Since I don't have much faith in the medical industry to begin with, I just don't really feel that I can trust a doctor who's never seen me before to make an educated decision about a benzo for me, especially considering it's so hit and miss with these meds.
Deciding which will work best for you is part of the prescriber's responsibility. They go through a plethora of training and thousands of face to face hours. Unfortunately many prescribers get a bad/unfair view because of the limited time they have with their patients. I mentioned earlier that people can't be everything to everyone, which is what often happens with general practitioners, family practitioners, NPs, PAs, etc. I'd probably look to someone like a psychiatrist or prescribing psychologist to help you; both of those groups specialize in psychotropics.

Originally Posted by BeeBee View Post
Are there any factors I should take into consideration when talking with a new doctor about changing from Xanax to something else that would better help in the decision to try one over another? What specific information should I give the doctor?
I'd share with them your concerns, your previous meds, and any side effects that you experienced while on those meds. All of this information can help inform them of what med/meds may be best for you. They may decide that benzos aren't even the way to go! Certain benzos have certain side effect profiles that are better fits for people. While it isn't an exact science, it is still a science. I look at prescribing as half science and half art....since it takes some outside the box thinking to be a truly effective prescriber.

Don't lose all hope in prescribers, there really are some great ones out there.

-p