Old 08-03-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Daisy1975

Financial troubles & being new to recovery.

Ok so I have found an NA meeting that I really like. I haven't found a sponsor yet because I want to make sure I don't jump at the first person that offers. I really want to find someone I feel comfortable with. I have talked to a few women in my NA group though that have over 5 years of being clean & sober. We were talking about stress factors that make me want to use cocaine and I mentioned some financial troubles from my past that I pretty much have tried to ignore while using. My ignoring these problems have of course made them worse and I have gotten myself (and my credit score) into hot water by not acting.

I was surprised, but these women told me to try to obtain at least a year's sobriety before tackling my finances. How could I do this and would that be wise? Inside I am screaming no but feel so confused. I know I am not the only person with financial woes and wondered if any others here have some advice for a newcomer. I am worried that I might overwhelm myself trying to tackle too much, but these are also problems that can't continue to go ignored.

Has anyone else here dug themselves out of a financial hole and stayed clean and sober? Any words of advise on how to move forward? Sorry for rambling.